I am going to get into the habit of posting every Monday to summarize the previous week and then give a new insight or highlight a more developed view on an older post.
To kick off my weekly series, I want to bring to light one of the biggest things I have learned so far. How to research. These are the two strongest resources anyone thinking about trying to publish should look at.
20 Books to 50K: https://www.facebook.com/groups/20Booksto50k/
r/Self Publish: https://www.reddit.com/r/selfpublish/wiki/index
I consult them multiple times each week.
This week I found myself wondering two things. Should I look at agents again? What is a Blog Tour?
I looked at literary agents in April but didn’t have much of a platform built. Since then I have successfully grown a Twitter account to 5K followers, developed and maintained a website, and run multiple small marketing campaigns. Now that I have a few more months of knowledge, I am thinking about going back to the agents. Here is the link I intend to use: https://thejohnfox.com/2016/07/41-best-literary-agents-representing-ya/
I had no idea what a Blog Tour was. I have been learning about SEO. My understanding is the Blog Tour is a multi-week blog parade to build backlinks to your platform. It may drive a few of the blog followers to your sales. I am not interested in a physical tour at this time due to COVID-19 and my own desire to be an introvert. The Blog Tour seems like a great alternative and I have been researching PR firms that can organize this for you. https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2014/02/greg-strandberg/
To end every weekly post, I will also summarize my previous week. This is a way for me to look back and reflect more than anything. My own blueprint to follow again and adjust as I learn more.
- Ran Bookbub and Amazon targeted ads for the first time
- Rewrote the Amazon Book Description
- Lowered price point to $2.99
- Applied for 5 Literary Awards
- 2020 Living Now Inspirational Fiction
- 2021 Readers’ Favourite International Book Award for Young Adult Coming of Age
- 2020 Writer’s Digest Annual Writing Competition
- 2021 Morris Award
- 2021 Printz Award
- Started to use Instagram more as another way to attract readers
- Broke the 5,000 Twitter follower wall
- Started reading It on recommendation from one of my editors
- I added a few pages of brainstorming notes to Pulse
- Started my blog
- Look at Literary Agents Again (Last looked in April, a platform wasn’t developed)
- Look at a PR Company to organize a Blog Tour
- Continue reading and brainstorming for Pulse
- Look at pushing for more reviews (promotional giveaway in reward for a review?)